Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Early morning thoughts

I love the quiet and newness of an early morning, especially if I've gotten enough sleep. We have been fighting a cold since the end of last week, but it seems like we're pulling out of it. First Alexander got it, then me. Luckily, it seems like Geoff's okay.

I've been thinking a lot about whether or not it is hard or easy to go gluten free, and have come to the conclusion that it's both and neither. Thinking about this in terms of hard or easy is not the best criteria with which to evaluate going gf since:
a) it doesn't get at why people do it in the first place,
b) it's too changeable- there are days that are harder or easier than others,
and
c) it's a subjective criteria. What is hard for me may be very easy for someone else, and vice versa.

That said, going gf seems hard for me when I
- am traveling and going to places where I will not have easy access to cooking and preparing my own food,
- am going out with people who want to have pizza or Italian,
- smell fresh "glutenous" baked goods like chocolate chip cookies or croissants,
- am trying to think of something quick to cook, eat, prepare for lunch,
- don't want to seem like a picky eater or be someone with "dietary needs."

Going gf is easy when I
- want to feel good and not have physical repercussions!!!!!
- eat healthy (enough green veggies, fruits, other grains, lean proteins, etc.)
- prepare in advance
- go out for asian food (generally)
- fill my carb cravings with a hot bowl of rice or some sort of potatoes
- stop by the gf bakery in Corvallis for a treat. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment