Saturday, February 27, 2010

The gf baker's secret weapon...

is applesauce!
aka "How to justify chocolate chip cookies for breakfast."

For Christmas, my in-laws gave me a bunch of gf mixes from Bob's Red Mill. A few weeks ago when they were down here, we made the shortbread cookies. While they tasted okay, they were very crumbly. On the mixes it often says: "Dough will look a little dry, but will combine when pressed together." The result was that the cookies were also a little dry, and crumbled easily.

But, applesauce, like gluten, has a glue-like effect on things. I know that recipes often suggest applesauce as a replacement for fat in recipes, and it appears to also work for gluten replacement, at least in some cases. In any case, it was the experiment of the morning to try making the Bob's Red Mill chocolate chip cookie mix. I added about a 1/3 cup of applesauce (made last Fall from our apples). The dough looked a lot more like what I expected cookie dough to look like, and while it was a bit more sticky, it worked like I expected, too.

I tasted the cookies to make sure they tasted okay, and I think they taste great. So, all in all, it was a good experiment.

If any of you try this in other recipes, let us know how it goes.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, what a great idea! Thanks, Rachael.

    -Julie J.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Julie,
    I just found out I have comments! Thanks. Do you get notification when I write this?

    Thanks,
    Rachael

    ReplyDelete