Monday, February 15, 2010

Recommended book

Anticancer: A New Way of Life by David Servan Schreiber, M.D., Ph.D (Viking, New York, NY, 2009)

I don't know if any of you have heard of this book, but this is the second time in as many days that this book has been recommended to me. The first time was from Maggie, my godmother, who is fighting cancer right now. She said that it is good for anyone interested in making sure they have a healthy diet. Brodie, an acupuncturist and the qi gong teacher I've has for the past two years, wrote about it in her blog (see below).  I haven't read the book since I just heard about it, but it sounds worth checking out.  I have requested it throught the Corvallis Public Library, and am fifth in the queue.

Brodie writes:

"Recently, one of my patients recommended I read Anticancer: A New Way of Life by David Servan Schreiber, M.D., Ph.D (Viking, New York, NY, 2009). I am very grateful for her recommendation, as  it seems like the number of people I know, both personally and professionally who are dealing with this brutal disease -- and the harsh treatment it so often necessitates -- is way too high.  And yet, there are many things we can do to make our bodies far less hospitable to cancer.

Written by an M.D. who was diagnosed with a brain tumor 15 years ago and was dissatisfied with his oncologist's assessment that what he did wouldn't have any affect on his health, this book is highly readable, peppered with interesting scientific studies, and very practical advice. He considers what makes the ecosystem that is each human body conducive to cancer's growth? Turns out, food, chronic helplessness and other emotions, and toxins in the environment have a lot to do with it."

If you want to read more, you can read her blog "The one book I want everyone to read this year"

No comments:

Post a Comment